Greek Artichoke Stew
This Greek artichoke is a light, lemony vegan dish with succulent, creamy sauce, topped with dill. It verifies why the Mediterranean diet is a healthy and delicious way of eating.
- 10 fresh or frozen artichoke bottoms cleaned and trimmed
- ⅓ cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, the white part, finely chopped
- 5 spring onions, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, cut in medium slices
- 3 potatoes, cut in medium cubes
- 3 cups (850ml) vegetable broth or hot water
- 2 lemons, the juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (optional)
- 1 cup (10g) fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
IF YOU USE FROZEN ARTICHOKES
IF YOU USE FRESH ARTICHOKES
Add onion, leek and spring onions and stir for 2-3 minutes until softened and translucent. Add artichokes, carrots and potatoes. Stir for 5 minutes. Season to taste. Stir carefully.
Add the flour (optional) and give a final good but gentle stir. Pour carefully lemon juice and hot water or vegetable broth to cover all the ingredients. Season to taste, cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to a simmer for 40-45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Turn off the heat and add fresh dill. Stir and set it aside for a few minutes. Drizzle some extra olive oil and serve it hot or at room temperature.